Saturday, January 22, 2022

Why I tatood Fela on my arm - William Troost-Ekong

 
William Troost-Ekong

Super Eagles defender, William Troost-Ekong, has said he got a tattoo of late afrobeat legend, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, because he had an influence on him.


Speaking to PUNCH, Williams said he grew up listening to fellow and admires that the late singer fought for the people.


He said, “I love his music, I actually got his face tattooed on my arm, so I am a big fan of his music, I grew up listening to them. He is, I will probably say, Afrobeats pioneer, I think everyone knows what Afrobeats is now, but many years ago, he was the first one to combine Yoruba music with calypso and different kind of beats.”


“He was born in Nigeria, so is he a figure a lot of people look up to in Nigeria and I imagined he was very popular?


“Yes, he was very popular. Of course, he was a bit two-sided because he got himself, but I think he’s a real man of the people, so I think everybody respects what he stood for, always stood for the underdogs and fought for the people. So, he is definitely a name that is massive in Nigeria, maybe the Bob Marley of Nigerian music. Definitely, so, he was a great person. I am sure any Nigerian you speak to and you mention Fela, they will know who he is.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yamaha Musical Equipment

Yamaha Musical Equipment
Yamaha Musical Equipment